Saturday, August 23, 2008

Arnel Pineda

Filipinos are now being recognized all over the world, one of them is Mr. Arnel Pineda, a new vocalist of the band Journey, so for the readers of Scroll and Spin here are the excerpts of the interview of Mr. Arnel Pineda by Mr. Ricky Lo of Philippines Star thru his column Funfare, publish last Tuesday August 19, 2008.

Hello, Arnel. How have you been doing?

“Okay naman po.”

I understand that Journey is doing another concert tomorrow (the other day, Sunday, Aug. 17). Pang-ilang concert n’yo na ‘yan?

“Marami-rami na rin. I had my first concert with Journey early this year. Since then, we’ve been touring.”

But even if you were busy on the road, you were able to finish Revelation, your first album with Journey.

“We really found time for the album. It was Neal and Jonathan who wrote all the 11 new tracks on the album.”

In a magazine interview, Schon said that “we feel reborn. I think there’s a lot of chemistry between the five of us. The new stuff sounds tremendous. Everyone’s so stoked about it. We feel very fortunate to have found Arnel.”

“It’s nice to hear that. I’m glad that they are happy with my work, that I’m living up to their expectations. I did the vocals for the album.”

Cain was also quoted as saying, “Arnel brings a soulful and passionate voice to Journey. His personality is very well-suited to our music. He’s a sincere, authentic person with a great smile and a big heart. I think fans are really going to love him. With Arnel’s soaring tenor, Journey returns to our heritage sound.” Wow, talagang bilib na bilib sila sa’yo, ha!

“That’s why I really did my best. I didn’t want to let them down and the Journey fans who have been waiting for the album.”

How’s your bonding with the four other members so far?

“Okay naman po. No problem. They take good care of me and they really make me feel that I’m one of them. We are like a family.”

How is the reaction of the audience especially to you in the Journey concerts?

“As far as I can see, it’s okay. The audiences are very enthusiastic. I can see that they are happy to see a new member blending very well with the group.”

Some...but only very few, I hope...Journey fans expressed disapproval of your choice as the group’s new vocalist, especially so since you are an Asian.

“Wala ‘yon. I don’t think criticisms or reactions like that will ever go away, although I haven’t heard or seen anybody express that kind of reaction during our concerts. I understand where those critics are coming from. That’s what they think, that’s what they believe in, and I can’t really do anything about. I just focus on trying to please and entertain those who have faith in my talent. I just ignore those who say negative comments against me. Whether I’m doing right or wrong, they would still say the same things against me.”

Does it challenge you to maybe prove them wrong and eventually win their patronage?

“Not really to prove them wrong. That’s hard, because there are fans who insist on what they want you to do. What I consider a challenge is to prove that I am worthy as Journey’s new vocalist.”

Where are you based? Are you with your wife and children?

“I’m based in San Francisco, although I don’t usually stay long in one place because we are always moving, we are always on the road. So most of the time, we stay in hotels. No, my family is not with me yet. They are in the Philippines.”

Don’t you sleep in any of the Journey guys’ house?

“No, I don’t. Nakakahiya naman po. They have their own families.”

When is Journey coming to the Philippines to promote the album?

“Next year, hopefully. Kumusta na lang sa inyong lahat dyan.”

Here’s a video of Mr. Arnel Pineda with his band, The Journey

Video Courtesy of EMOisGAY4

No comments: